These simple vegan blueberry vanilla muffins were the perfect pick-me-up on this dreary, somewhat chilly Sunday morning. I stepped this simple recipe up a notch by using coconut oil in the batter and creating a lovely golden-brown top with a soymilk-syrup mixture. Both of these additions are optional, but I highly recommend!
Vegan Blueberry Vanilla Muffins Recipe
Ingredients (6 Muffins)
- .5 cup soy milk
- .5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.25 tsp baking powder
- .13 tsp baking soda
- .25 tsp salt
- .25 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar (I used Wholesome Fresh), plus more for the muffin tops
- .13 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil, in liquid form (or canola oil)
- .5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
- Optional, for the vegan egg wash:
- 1 tbsp soy milk
- .5 tbsp maple syrup
- Optional: lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 375–400ºF, line a muffin try with baking cups and set aside.
2. Combine the soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside to curdle.
3. Combine most of the dry ingredients—flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt—in a larger bowl and set aside.
4. In a different, small bowl, mix together the sugar, coconut oil, lemon zest (optional), and vanilla extract. Once mixed well, combine with the milk/apple cider vinegar mixture and stir well.
5. Slowly incorporate the wet mixture into the dry mixture, stirring and folding to combine. Some lumpiness is okay!
6. If using fresh blueberries, fold them into the batter. If using frozen, you may want to rinse them briefly in warm water to get rid of any excess ice. Pat dry and fold into the batter.
7. Spoon evenly into muffin tins, filling up each cup nearly to the top of the tin.
8. Make the vegan egg wash: whisk to combine the soy milk and maple syrup, then use a brush to coat each the top of each muffin. Sprinkle generously with additional sugar.
9. Bake in oven for about 25 minutes, or until you can insert a knife into the middle of a muffin and remove it cleanly.
10. Move to the top rack of the oven for the last 5 minutes of bake time to ensure a nice golden muffin top.
11. Remove from oven and let cool before serving. These are amazing on their own, but for a little extra umph, I like to enjoy them with some vegan butter (I like Earth Balance brand). Enjoy!
This recipe was inspired by “Vegan Blueberry Muffins” from My Darling Vegan. Thank you for sharing!