This weekend I made Minimalist Baker’s Basic Vegan French Toast recipe with some minor tweaks and, omg, it was so similar to eggy french toast, I’ll definitely be making this regularly!
- 1 heaping Tbsp chia seeds (whole or ground into a fine meal so they’re undetectable) (I used a combo of ground flax and whole chia seeds)
- 1/2 Tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk) (I used soy milk)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 slices bread (it’s important to use a sturdy, rustic bread or it can turn out soggy/soft) (I used sourdough bread)
- Mix all ingredients except the bread in a large, shallow bowl. Place in the fridge to activate for ~20 minutes.
- Preheat griddle/nonstick pan to medium-high heat and grease with 1 tbsp vegan butter, I used Earth Balance.
- Dip each slice of bread in the batter for about 10 seconds on each side. Let excess drip off.
- Place on griddle and cook until golden brown on the underside. Carefully flip and cook until the other side is golden brown as well, about 3-4 minutes.
- Top with desired toppings: I went with extra butter and maple syrup.