I’ve really been loving my recent subscription to Misfits Market, which sends me two boxes a month of seasonal, fresh produce “rejected” by supermarkets based on their size or shape.
This week I had a bunch of veggies to play with: eggplant, red onion, green pepper, shishito peppers, plus a bunch I had already stocked up on, like kale and carrot.
I figured a roasted veggie & brown rice bowl would be a great way to use up as much as possible!
Vegan Roasted Veggie, Kale & Rice Bowls Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped large
- 3-ish leaves kale, stripped and ripped
- 1 carrot, sliced in thick rounds
- 1/2 eggplant, sliced in thick rounds (I used a mandoline)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced in thick rounds then halved down the center
- 1-ish cup uncooked rice
- Panful of shishito peppers
- Smoked paprika
- Curry powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt, pepper, water, olive oil
1. Toss the carrot, onion, and bell pepper in olive oil, curry powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Spread onto parchment-lined baking sheet and cook for about 30 mins at 450°F.
2. Spread eggplant rounds onto separate parchment-liner baking sheet. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper, then drizzle (or paint) balsamic vinegar and olive oil onto both sides. Bake at same times and temperatures as other veggie tray.
3. Prepare the rice according to package instructions (if raw) or wait until later (if microwaveable).
4. Wash, strip, and rip the kale into small pieces and put into a bowl. Pour a little lemon juice on it and massage it into the kale for about 2 minutes. Put aside in fridge.
5. Prepare the dressing: mix tahini with juice of one lemon, salt, and thin it out with warm water. Whisk well and set aside.
6. Halfway through bake time, flip eggplant slices and mix the veggies around. Crank the heat to 500°F if color is not developing enough.
7. When veggies only need 5 more minutes, start the shishito peppers. Heat about 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan on high heat. Once almost smoking, add shishitos and stir constantly so they don’t get too burnt. After about 5 minutes, remove from pan and toss with salt and any leftover lemon juice.
8. When the veggies come out of the oven, cut the eggplant into quarters.
9. To serve: start with rice, then kale, then roasted veggies and eggplant. Dress with the tahini dressing, and serve with shishito peppers on the side. Enjoy!