It’s Monday, I had to work late, and then it downpoured on me on my way home when I didn’t have an umbrella! This called for a quick, easy, and comforting meal—Vegan Creamy Pesto Pasta—using plenty of veggies, fresh basil, and vegan cream cheese.
Vegan Creamy Pesto Pasta Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 2)
Creamy Pesto Sauce:
- ~1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ~1 clove garlic (or dash of garlic powder)
- ~1 tsp lemon juice
- ~1 tbsp water
- ~1 tsp olive oil
- .25 package / 2 oz of vegan cream cheese (I used Tofutti brand)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 servings of dry pasta (I used macaroni shells)
- ~2 artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and roughly chopped
- ~.25 cup red onion, diced
- ~.25 cup snap peas and/or string beans, chopped
- ~.13 cup spinach (I used frozen)
- Sprinkle of vegan parmesan (optional) (I used Go Veggie brand)
1. Add all Creamy Pesto Sauce ingredients to a food processor, except for the vegan cream cheese, and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
2. Boil the pasta according to package instructions, and while it boils heat a drizzle of vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Drain and set aside once cooked.
3. While the pasta boils, add the red onion and string beans/snap peas to the pan and sauté for a few minutes. Once tender, add artichoke, spinach, and vegan cream cheese. Stir continuously to melt the cream cheese.
4. Once the cream cheese is more or less melted and well combined, add the cooked pasta to the pan, along with the pesto. Mix well, season to taste, and garnish with additional basil leaves and vegan parmesan.